These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Waze App in Ford Sync 3

Hi,
I just bought a 2019 Ford Edge ST and according to Ford, I should be able to install the app directly on the car and not need to use it over Android Auto.
I have tried their instructions (which are only for iOS) but the app does not get installed.
Has anyone had any luck getting this done?
I have the latest version of Sync 3 (3.3) according to Ford for my car.

The FAQ on Ford's page has questions but no answers:
https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/ ... -faqs.html

Thanks in advance.


Post by Mvan231

pgonza02 wrote:Hi,
I just bought a 2019 Ford Edge ST and according to Ford, I should be able to install the app directly on the car and not need to use it over Android Auto.
I have tried their instructions (which are only for iOS) but the app does not get installed.
Has anyone had any luck getting this done?
I have the latest version of Sync 3 (3.3) according to Ford for my car.

The FAQ on Ford's page has questions but no answers:
https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/ ... -faqs.html

Thanks in advance.

Waze would need to be used over Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Which section of the FAQ made you think it could be installed? The sections aren't expanding for me.


Post by Mvan231

Putzster wrote:You need to installed Ford Pass app first. Then go to Apps section on sync 3, there it should show find app apps... click find apps, your phone must be plugged in to a the USB media port for any apps to work. Hope this helps.

What do you mean? Waze can't be installed onto the Sync system itself, it has to run on a device (iOS or Android)


Post by Mvan231

Putzster wrote:For iOS anyways, you have to install ford pass on your phone, Ford pass is your link to Sync 3 for any apps. The phone has to plugged into the USB. Sync will display on the top on the screen it's detected your phone & begin to index it. Go the to apps tab on sync 3, click find apps & sync will search for applicable apps that will run on sync 3. Waze should show up next to the Ford Pass app on the screen. Waze has to be running on the phone for it to work on the sync 3 screen. Once it's running on your phone click the sync 3 waze app on the screen. After the first time it should automatically start waze on sync 3.

This is only if you don't have a CarPlay enabled vehicle. Also, I think the AppLink works without the FordPass app but can't confirm as I haven't used that in a long time.

FYI, Waze has confirmed that support for AppLink is ending, so if you don't have CarPlay, Waze won't work in your vehicle at some point


Post by Mvan231

BlueMeany68 wrote:Really struggling with this too.

Have Sync 3 version 3.0 and Waze 4.58.0.1

I can connect Waze to Sync 3 using Android Auto (via USB cable) but realistically I want to get it to recognise Waze from the Apps screen, so that I can continue the other reasonably decent Sync 3 options.

Everything I read says this should be possible if the phone is connected via Bluetooth but when I click get more apps it doesn't find anything extra on my phone. Only thing showing is Glympse. I have FordPass installed on phone.

Not fussed about using USB cable if this is the only way - but just want to try and use it without having to connect via Android Auto.

Is there a walk-through or video somewhere that I can follow (most seem to be for Apple) to get this set-up... or can someone confirm (or not) if you can connect Waze to Sync 3 without having to use Android Auto?

I can't comment for Android Auto, but with CarPlay, there is a "Disable" option in Sync so it uses the AppLink instead of CarPlay. However, while in CarPlay, I can tap the Ford app for it to return to the Sync screen and use other features like Climate


Post by BlueMeany1968

Thanks for the reply, Mark, there-in lies the problem... almost everything on the web is geared towards sorting Apple and CarPlay.


Post by Mvan231

BlueMeany1968 wrote:Thanks for the reply, Mark, there-in lies the problem... almost everything on the web is geared towards sorting Apple and CarPlay.

I can imagine that is probably the case. You don't have an option to disable Android Auto in the Sync menu?

It seems there should be a menu item just like there is for CarPlay

Edit: look for the section at the above URL named "Disable Android Auto"


Post by BlueMeany1968

Yep, I can find all the options for Disabling AA and that appears to work, but still (with AA disabled) when searching for apps from AppLink, the only thing that shows is Glympse (FordPass also shows if I open it on phone, but then disappears after about a minute or two). I've tried all ways of finding Waze from Applink (starting it then searching/searching before starting it/searching then connecting cable) but it never finds anything :?


Post by Mvan231

BlueMeany1968 wrote:

Yep, I can find all the options for Disabling AA and that appears to work, but still (with AA disabled) when searching for apps from AppLink, the only thing that shows is Glympse (FordPass also shows if I open it on phone, but then disappears after about a minute or two). I've tried all ways of finding Waze from Applink (starting it then searching/searching before starting it/searching then connecting cable) but it never finds anything :?

That is quite strange. They may have removed AppLink support from the Android version of Waze already, not sure. I know it isn't going to be supported any longer at some point on iOS, but no idea when that happens.


Post by JimmySpears

I can get Waze to run in my 2019 F-150...but only while connected via USB. I can't get it to install. I would like for Waze to be the default nav for my truck. I would also like it to be the map on the 3-part home screen. I would like to do this without having to have it connected via USB. I have updated my truck to 3.3 and my Waze release is 4.59.0.0.


Post by BillHayfer

I am no longer able to connect to waze from my 2018 Lincoln MKZ. This seems to have happened with the latest Apple upgrade (13.4.1). My phone screen goes blank like it connected, but the Lincoln screen just says waiting on device. I have rebooted my i-phone and restarted car several times with no better results.